Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thrifty Thursdays

This Thursday I have two "thrifty" things to show you.
1. A picture wall that I put together so that my refrigerator wouldn't be cluttered with the pictures my friends give me. The cost: FREE!

I used 3 lengths of ribbon from my stash, 3 nails, and 8 alligator clips covered with ribbon. I glued the ribbon onto these with hot glue.

Now I can't decide whether to leave it as it is, or use wall decals or a stencil to write "Friends" above it. What do you think?


2. Homemade lip balm. I was inspired by Jennifer to make this, and used this recipe here. The cost?? Hmm, Jennifer figured it to be under 10 cents a tube for the ingredients. The tubes were 25 cents each, so 35 cents?? I know I spent about $8 dollars on the almond oil, coconut oil, beeswax and tubes. I split all of these with a friend. And I have enough ingredients to make probably 100+ more tubes!

First I melted the coconut oil and beeswax in a Pyrex measuring cup. Yes, I know it's a little big, but my smaller ones were in the dishwasher.

Here's the olive oil and almond oil

The empty tubes--I love the colorful tops! My friend bought these on eBay and I shared the batch of 50 with her.

After mixing all the ingredients, I poured it into this small cup to make it easier to pour with.

The filled tubes (before they hardened):

You can't waste too much time pouring. By the time I got done and tried to top off a couple tubes, it was already hardening.

Come back next Thursday for more thrifty ideas!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for linking up to The Virginia House "We Can Do It Cheaper"!! I love that it was free! And I've never even heard of making your own chapstick. So neat, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote add FRIENDS in a favorite script font above...if you don't like, paint over it! :) Love the ideas everyone has for doing things cheaper and so cute.

    ReplyDelete