Friday, February 4, 2011

Food and Groceries

Two items of business to discuss: The first being that we received our first box of food from the CSA. It was delivered to our door Friday morning. For $34, I believe, this is what we got:

1 tub of fresh butter
1 dozen free range eggs
1 package of Gouda cheese
1 jar plum jam
1 bunch of collard greens (never had these before)
2 rutabagas (or these)
6 potatoes
2 heads of Bibb lettuce
1 spaghetti squash



The second item has been a while in coming. I promised to give a more detailed view of my grocery spending, since I wasn't shopping at Wal-Mart anymore. Here are rough totals for December and January:

December:

produce- $60
dairy-$45
toiletries- $7
cleaning & paper products- $11
boxed/canned foods- $68
juice- $15
tortillas, bread, pasta- $25
meat- $14
formula- $17

total: $262

January:

Gluten Free Flour- $50
Produce- $39
Dairy- $55
Toiletries- $17
Cleaning & Paper Goods- $7
Boxed/Canned Foods-$46
Juice- $8
Tortillas- $2.50
Formula- $30

Then, we were in Texas, so we had to go to Central Market! We spent about $40 between that and getting some snacks for the girls at Albertson's.
I also have about $20 worth of entries on my account that I can't find the receipts for, so I'm not sure what category those fall in.

Total: $314.50

That's above my $300 budget, that I was trying to stay under...oh well! I can try again this month. I would have been great had we not gone to Central Market! But, what fun is that??

In the future I would like to spend more money on produce and fresh foods, and less on the boxed/canned foods. We'll be getting the box of produce from the CSA, and we'll also be planting a decent size garden, so my produce bill should go down this summer.

I will keep trying to improve on how I spend my grocery money (and any other money, too!), by being smarter, using coupons, eating cheaper meals, etc. I'm sure I will never have it "down pat", but I will keep working on it!


No comments:

Post a Comment