Monday, January 17, 2011

No-Spend Challenge

This is mainly a challenge for my husband and I, but anyone is welcome to join in. Our goal for the next several months is to spend as little as possible. In addition, we want to avoid bringing more "stuff" into our house.
We will continue to pay our bills, while trying to lower the ones that we can control. We still want to give to ministry and others in need, hopefully lowering other areas will leave us more to give.
I am trying to lower my grocery bill, and stay under budget. In a couple months, we are going to join a CSA for produce, eggs, cheese and meat, and make that our main supply of food. I will still have to shop for a few things, but our goal is to eat what we get from the CSA, and not much more.

We are going to lower our eating-out budget, and try to eat out only where we have a coupon, restaurant.com certificate, or gift card.

Outside of bills, giving, food, gas (we're not going to stop driving), and occasionally eating out, there's not much else we need.

We don't need clothes right now, and when we do we will get rid of some to make room for the new. And when we do buy clothes or shoes, we will try to use "extra" money for those. I don't think gift cards will count as spending money, because it's not coming out of our bank account.
I have plenty of fabric and craft supplies and projects that are unfinished to keep me busy for a while. I can make some clothes for the girls and myself, and finish projects around the house before buying new stuff. I would also like to try re-making some clothes. I've seen some really cute stuff on other blogs!

As part of this, I am challenging myself to find free stuff on craigslist and actually follow through on picking it up. I am notorious for seeing something, and not going to get it! The other day I got a can of unopened formula for free! That's $12 I didn't have to spend! Yay! What else can I get??

Does anyone else have any interest in joining? I'm excited to see how long and how well we can do this!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I am also trying to "cut back" this year. I am always putting stuff in the yard sale pile, and I think I JUST GOT THIS, and I really didn't need it, and now I don't want it and I just wasted $$$$!!! My plan is to STAY OUT OF TOWN! that really seems to help. Plus with a thiry plus minute drive it saves alot of gas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is neat you are doing that! We have been doing that some lately. We have been trying to finsih all our house projects that we already have the stuff for before we get new projects. Definitly helps from things piling up in the garage and saves money!

    ReplyDelete