Friday, October 1, 2010

If You Give A Mom A Muffin....

If you give a mom a muffin,
She'll want a cup of coffee to go with it.
She'll pour herself some.
Her three-year-old will spill the coffee.
She'll wipe it up.
Wiping the floor, she'll find dirty socks.
She'll remember she has to do laundry.
When she puts the laundry in the washer,
She'll trip over boots and bump into the freezer.
Bumping into the freezer will remind her she has to plan for supper.
She will get out a pound of hamburger.
She'll look for her cookbook ("101 Things To Do With a Pound of Hamburger").
The cookbook is sitting under a pile of mail.
She will see the phone bill, which is due tomorrow.
She will look for her checkbook.
The check book is in her purse that is being dumped out by her two-year-old.
She'll smell something funny.
She'll change the two year old's diaper.
While she is changing the diaper, the phone will ring.
Her five-year-old will answer and hang up.
She'll remember she wants to phone a friend for coffee.
Thinking of coffee will remind her that she was going to have a cup.
And chances are...
If she has a cup of coffee,
Her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.

**My day was actually very productive, many thanks to my husband for taking the girls with him while he got the oil changed in the car. I've gotten most everything done, without a nap, I might add. A few more things to do, then off to bed, and tomorrow: the beach!
I think of this poem often, though, and I have experienced days like this many times, as I'm sure anyone who has mothered small children has.
So, this is for all the mothers out there. Take heart, you're not alone!

1 comment: