I have been wanting to blog for a while now, but life keeps coming at me full force! I also couldn't figure out what I should blog about after being gone so long. I have projects to share, etc., and didn't know where to start!
Then today, I was making a recipe I've made a lot but never shared here, so I thought that would be a good place to start.
This recipe is for Cranberry Chutney, so I guess you could say it's a winter or summer recipe. Winter because that's about the only time you can buy cranberries, and summer because that's when you eat it! (at least that's when we eat it the most!) We like to serve it with grilled chicken, made with my dad's marinade, of course, or on a chicken or ham sandwich. I'm sure there are many more ways to eat this, but these are our favorites!
Cranberry Chutney
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 oranges
4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2" dice
2-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and cut into 1-inch matchsticks
2 tsp. ground mace
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
2 (12 oz.) packages fresh or frozen cranberries, picked over
1 cup dried currants (I've never used these, because I never remember to buy them!!)

In a large saucepan, combine the onion, water, and sugars. Bring to a boil, stir, decrease the heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
Scrub the oranges. Quarter them through the stem end, discard any seeds, and slice them as thinly as possible.

Add the oranges and their juice, apples, ginger, mace, cloves and vinegar to the saucepan and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.

Add the cranberries and currants to the pan and continue to simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the mixture is thick.

Ladle the hot chutney into clean, hot jars, leaving a 1/4" headspace, seal and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for long-term storage. Or ladle into sterilized jars, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Allow to sit for at least 3 weeks before opening or giving away. (I don't always let it sit that long, and it's fine)
Makes about 4 pint jars
Joel's Marinade (for chicken)
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 lbs. of chicken
This is my favorite marinade to use for grilled chicken, and the chutney is excellent on it!!
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 lbs. of chicken
This is my favorite marinade to use for grilled chicken, and the chutney is excellent on it!!
So you're wondering, where is this giveaway she was talking about? Well, I didn't know how many people would try this recipe, either because they had never eaten chutney before or didn't know what this one tasted like. So, leave a comment, and in one week (March 26th) I will pick a winner, and send them a jar of this wonderful chutney! And there might be another surprise in the box, too. You never know!
I have used this marinade recipe for a long time and didn't know it was your father's. It is excellent. I will have to try the chutney, we love cranberry sauce with chicken. Your pictures are beautiful, it makes me want to stick my finger out there for a taste.
ReplyDeleteI've missed you on blog land!!! send me a email at sarahunt88@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite to my blog.
ReplyDeleteHmmm, looks delish. I'm going to give your dad's marinade a try this next week. Looking forward to summertime grilling! Or...maybe I should just wait till I win and then try the marinade and chutney together! :-)
ReplyDeleteWell, all the ingredients sound wonderful! I'll have to give a it a try sometime. I always look at the fresh cranberries and wonder what to do with them. Now I know!
ReplyDeleteYou made that sound easy AND look really good!!
ReplyDeleteWe would be more than happy to try some. : )
Oh man... I have forgotten about this great marinade for chicken! It's a beautiful spring day in TX & grilled chicken will be our dinner for tonight! The chutney sounds fantastic!
ReplyDelete