Monday, November 8, 2010

Hooded Towel




This was my first hooded towel to make. Gracie has one that a friend made, but I wanted to make one for Cora, and one for a friend's daughter. This one is for the friend; I think I want to try a ladybug one for Cora.
I started with a yellow bath towel and hand towel, and an orange wash cloth, all from Wal-Mart. I had looked for cheaper ones at Ross, etc., but never found the colors I was looking for. I spent 8 or 9 dollars on all this.

First I traced the curve of the hood from Gracie's towel onto paper. (the curve isn't perfect because my paper was too small. I did cut the towel right)
Cut two semi-circles out of the hand towel, making sure to leave a finished edge at the bottom of each. (less sewing)
I don't have pictures of the next part. I sewed the semi-circles together, and then serged that seam. I just guessed on the shape of the beak, and sewed that on. That is a double thickness, so I sewed it and then turned it inside-out and sewed it on to the hood.
I then sewed the hood to the bath towel. I cut two circles out of a scrap of black fabric that I had, and sewed those on by hand using a blanket stitch. At least, I think that's the stitch I used. ;)
Cora modeling the finished towel! She doesn't really like to wear stuff on her head, so I'm not sure why I'm going to make her a hooded towel. Maybe because I want to. Anyway, this was a fun and quick project! Probably start to finish--1 hour, and 8 or 9 dollars. Not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment