Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thrifty Thursdays!!

A couple weeks ago, Jill at The Virginia House issued a challenge for her weekly post "We Can Do It Cheaper". The challenge was to copy one of four projects as cheap as possible. I waited anxiously, and to my disappointment, and I'm sure Jill's as well, no one attempted one of these projects. I am included in that group; there was one that I had all the supplies to do, just not the time.
So, a few weeks later, here I am! The challenge is over, but I still wanted to attempt it.
Here is the product to copy:


And here is my attempt:


First, I started with a Dollar Tree white plastic trash can. (I am way too stingy to pay $20 for a nice looking bathroom trash can, plastic works for me!)


Here I have some burlap scraps, leftover white paint, and my handy glue gun. I also used a paint brush and some ribbon.

My first try at free-handing with a paint brush. I am not naturally artistic, so it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped.

And the finished trash can! Again, it wasn't quite what I had envisioned, but it was done all with stuff I had. I bought nothing for this project! So, for free, I think I can handle it--at least for now. It turned out a bit more rustic than the original.

1 comment:

  1. Lorianne, I have really enjoyed visting your blog, hop on over to mine some time. Sara H.

    ReplyDelete