Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Another Project Mostly Finished

Here is our back porch, mostly done. I still have some accessories to redo and add, but we've still been enjoying it.
I'll give you the before pictures, although I don't have pictures of before we moved in, when a hot tub took up more than half of the porch, and there was nasty, pet hair laden indoor/outdoor green carpet on the floor. Yuck!
Here's pictures, minus the hot tub and carpet. After that, I'll tell you what I did.


And now, the method!
I started off doing all the painting by myself, but ended up getting some help from my sister and a friend to finish it.
First I spray painted the ceiling fan and the light with a hammered metal spray paint. The fan, I took off the blades and cleaned them, then just painted the metal part while it was still up. I don't know if that's the correct way to paint a fan, but it still works! I guess I didn't get too much paint in the motor. I also painted the fan before I painted the ceiling, so that any over spray would be covered up.


Next, I painted the wood work white, and the ceiling blue. This picture shows the contrast between the two.
For the floor, I followed Jillian's tutorial here. Like her, I got the sponge at Wal-Mart in the auto section, and I just grabbed a red deck stain that they had there, too. For a 12x16 space, I only used a quarter to a third of a gallon. So, if anyone needs red stain, you know where to ask! I'll share! This was done my husband and I. We started off together, but then the kids woke up, so we alternated stamping and watching the kiddos.

And now, the finished porch! Well, almost. I still need to paint the table you'll see in these pictures, and I have an idea in mind for a piece of art, as well. So, stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment