Dirk Alan Stogsdill was born last Thursday, May 17th, at 12:37 PM. He was 7 lb., 3 oz. and was 19 inches long.
He was born 2 weeks early, partly due to a busy schedule, I think, and partly due to the fact that I was sick for several days before he was born. The day before he was born, I went to the doctor with a 101 fever and contractions. They sent me home saying that it was just false labor. I wasn't convinced; it felt real to me, especially at 3 the next morning when I couldn't sleep because the contractions were 5 minutes apart. After an hour or so of that, I decided to get up and walk around, because if it was false they would go away, right? Not so much! They quickly escalated to 2 minutes apart and by the time we got to the hospital, I couldn't walk or talk through them.
Once there, the nurses did their thing, getting fluids in me and trying to make me comfortable and bring my fever down. I was scheduled for a C-section already, so there wasn't much point in me laboring for hours. At one point, the nurse said she didn't know if the doctor would do the C-section because of my fever. I looked at Weldon and said, "I am not going home today, because these contractions aren't stopping!" When the doctor came in, she said we would go in around noon for the surgery, which would give her time to do another surgery and time for my fever to go down.
It did go down, and after Dirk was born, I felt better than I had in days! We spent three days in the hospital, and we've been home for three days now.
He is a very easy baby; sleeps a lot and is eating good. Right now he's easier than my other two, since one in particular is feeling the effects of not being the baby anymore!
We are thankful for his safe arrival, and thankful for the skilled hands of the doctors. We are enjoying his addition to our family, even amidst the rough spots!


Yay for you! Cute family picture. I'm sure the "one" who is feeling the effects of not being the baby anymore will soon be enjoying her place as the helpful big sister. Little Dirk is adorable. Glad everyone is doing ok.
ReplyDeleteHe's a keeper! Congratulations to you all! Hopefully C will realize its fun to be a big sister, and she'll be fine soon. Glad you are feeling better too, I had heard you had been feeling pretty aweful, thats a bummer!
ReplyDeleteHe's gorgeous. Looking forward to meeting him.
ReplyDelete